September 14, 2010

A Case of the Mean Reds

One of my absolutely favorite movies is Breakfast at Tiffany's. I spent a summer at Columbia in high school and I went and had breakfast at Tiffany's dressed ala Holly Golightly. Maybe I'll scan it soon and share.  I love everything about the movie: the characters, the story, the style, and the message. My favorite quote from the whole thing is at the end when Paul gets out of the cab and it's raining and he says:

"You know what's wrong with you, Miss Whoever-you-are? You're chicken, you've got no guts. You're afraid to stick out your chin and say, "Okay, life's a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to each other, because that's the only chance anybody's got for real happiness." You call yourself a free spirit, a "wild thing," and you're terrified somebody's gonna stick you in a cage. Well baby, you're already in that cage. You built it yourself. And it's not bounded in the west by Tulip, Texas, or in the east by Somali-land. It's wherever you go. Because no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself."

When I'm having a case of the mean reds, since there isn't a Tiffany's near by I watch Breakfast at Tiffany's or sometimes I'll go to a museum.  What do you do when you've got a case of the mean reds?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...