July 9, 2010

"Muffy, look what I found in the garage."


So this past week I have been going through boxes in my Mom's garage. It's mostly just stuff that needs to stay packed up like old school work and yearbooks. But I found a little treasure I wasn't expecting in one of the boxes. My Dad's copy of The Official Preppy Handbook edited by Lisa Birnbach.  I've heard about the book, but I never read it. I loved it! It had a lot of tips, but it was mainly poking fun at the prep look and people.  I did some research and apparently it was huge when it was published and caused a lot of people in the 80s to dress preppy. I guess that makes sense because at every 80s themed party you are bound to see someone in a lacoste shirt with the collar up.  Here are some of my favorite parts:

  • Prep Reading List : Which included The Catch in the Rye, A Separate Peace, Good Times/Bad Times, and Lawarenceville Stories.
  • Ten Preppy Fashion Fundamentals:
    • Conservatism
    • Neatness
    • Attention to Detail
    • Practicality
    • Quality
    • Natural Fibers
    • Anglophilia
    • Specific Color Blindness
    • The Sporting Look
    • Androgyny
  • The Lexicon: My favorite definitions:
    • a little tongue sushi- French Kissing
    • eat my shorts- Drop dead, go jump in the lake
    • love- what a girl feels about ice cream, add-a-beads, sailing, and needlepoint
    • Perrier- what you drink when you're hung over. With a lime wedge. 
  • Coloring sheet for The Virtues Pink and Green (to be posted soon)
It was really funny and I enjoyed reading it.  I am super excited that Lisa Birnbach is coming out with an updated version in September called True Prep .   

Hope you enjoyed this peppy post! If not... eat my shorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...