So this past week I have been going through boxes in my Mom's garage. It's mostly just stuff that needs to stay packed up like old school work and yearbooks. But I found a little treasure I wasn't expecting in one of the boxes. My Dad's copy of The Official Preppy Handbook edited by Lisa Birnbach. I've heard about the book, but I never read it. I loved it! It had a lot of tips, but it was mainly poking fun at the prep look and people. I did some research and apparently it was huge when it was published and caused a lot of people in the 80s to dress preppy. I guess that makes sense because at every 80s themed party you are bound to see someone in a lacoste shirt with the collar up. Here are some of my favorite parts:
- Prep Reading List : Which included The Catch in the Rye, A Separate Peace, Good Times/Bad Times, and Lawarenceville Stories.
- Ten Preppy Fashion Fundamentals:
- Attention to Detail
- Natural Fibers
- Specific Color Blindness
- The Sporting Look
- The Lexicon: My favorite definitions:
- a little tongue sushi- French Kissing
- eat my shorts- Drop dead, go jump in the lake
- love- what a girl feels about ice cream, add-a-beads, sailing, and needlepoint
- Perrier- what you drink when you're hung over. With a lime wedge.
- Coloring sheet for The Virtues Pink and Green (to be posted soon)
Hope you enjoyed this peppy post! If not... eat my shorts!